- About Us
- Updates & News
With our unique combination of consulting and training expertise, we help nearly 15,000 companies per year in more than 40 countries, and in over 30 languages, to become more efficient and effective in their sales activities, and achieve necessary improvements in results.
How can Mercuri International help your business?
Do you often wonder:
- How do some companies excel in sales?
- What drives their success regardless of sector, size or economic conditions?
- Do their stories offer insights that can help replicate their success?
Have you faced situations like these?
- John, Territory Manager for a large consumer durable distributor is puzzled. Having promoted Michael, his Sales Rep from South Region, John had brought in Robert, to replace Michael. It has been six months, and John is worried as sales are down. Robert had this to say by way of an explanation – “There is something wrong with the South market. I keep meeting customers who don’t know exactly what they want and what kind of solution will meet their needs. I have to constantly overcome objections from current and potential customers”. John had never heard Michael have issues with the market. In fact, Michael had always said that he meets customers who are receptive and open and are fully aware of their needs and solutions. What do you think is happening here?
- ABC Inc is a large computer hardware manufacturer that caters to institutional customers. Their sales portfolio is sizeable and made up of small and large value clients. Peter has come in as their new Head of Sales, and he has been asked to review the Sales Organization Structure. Peter finds that the sales people are deployed by regions. His CEO says that Peter should look at alternative ways of structuring. He wants Peter to benchmark the best in the industry and take a decision. What options does Peter have?
Uncovering Secrets of Sales Excellence
Is Sales Excellence a function of strategy, process, structure or people? One of these? Some of these? All of these? Or is it something more?
What drives sales excellence across organizations irrespective of size, industry, geography and economic conditions?
What makes sales leaders tick?
In search of answers to these questions and more, Mercuri International undertakes periodic worldwide surveys. The latest of these – the Sales Excellence Survey 2017– commissioned in mid-2016, uncovers some of the secrets of sales excellence from top performing companies across 20 countries and 12 industry categories, involving 926 respondents over 80 percent comprising CEOs and Sales Managers. The survey had 53 statements, in four buckets as seen in the Sales Excellence Survey 2017 – Framework – shown below.
Picking the Top Performers and what drove their excellence
Respondents were asked to rate themselves on a scale of 1 to 10, on 7 performance parameters. These scores were used to stack rank the Top 10, Middle 80 and the Bottom 10 percentile performers, from each country, the aggregate of which was taken for the Global stack rank.
To find out what the Top Performers did differently, the respondents were asked to assign scores on a 1 to 7 scale, to 33 sales practices. The practices covered were diverse and comprehensive including elements of Sales Strategy, Sales Process, Support Tools, Sales Behaviors, Sales Rep Competence and Perception / Image of Sales function.
Difference in scores assigned to these drivers by Top 10 performers and the Bottom 10 turned the spotlight on key differentiators that helped the Top 10 excel. This was then aggregated to complete the ‘big picture’ as seen through a single global lens.
Secrets uncovered – The 10 most important drivers of sales excellence
Here are the top 10 Sales Practices on which Top Performers rate themselves significantly higher compared to their bottom peers, listed in the order of decreasing differences between the ratings.
These Sales Practices could be among key drivers of Sales Excellence for Top Performers.
- Each member of your sales team has a systematic account management planning process for each of their Customers – Top performing companies score high in allocating sales resources for each of their Customers such that an account management plan specific to the requirement of every individual Customer is in place.
- Your sales strategy is documented in writing – According to studies, only 14% of all people in a company know its strategy. Top performers seem to overcome this risk by documenting their strategy, for consistency of communication.
- For each step of the sales process / workflow you have defined training modules, checklists / instruments – A process is only as good as its implementation. Top performing companies don’t stop with defining sales processes and workflows. They get better at supporting their people in living those processes by developing training modules, checklists and instruments for each step of the process.
- Your corporate strategy defines explicit sales topics – Companies at the top of the performance spectrum are inclined to take sales beyond being an execution function and leverage the strategic value of sales by ensuring that their corporate strategies include explicit sales elements.
- A detailed description of the steps of the processes / workflows is documented in written form – Flawless execution being the hallmark of good sales, top performing companies attach a premium to documenting detailed descriptions of the sales processes and work flows.
- Your corporate structure fully supports cross functional approaches which are initiated by sales (e.g. matrix structures) – Top performing companies are far ahead at elimination of silos enabling sales to initiate and adopt a cross functional approach with other teams, to address Customer requirements holistically.
- Your CRM tool is integral to the company, populated with relevant information and regularly updated by the sales teams – At top performing companies, CRM serves to hardwire the whole organization to Customer centric approaches. These companies ensure their sales teams update the CRM regularly so as to stay in tune with Customer requirements in real time.
- The image of sales inside your company is excellent – Top performing companies recognize the inherent need for achievement and gratification in the sales mindset. They hold Sales in high esteem. The intrinsic pride of belonging to such an environment in itself could be a powerful driver of performance for sales people.
- You use a blended approach when developing the sales competence of your sales staff (i.e. eLearning or virtual learning combined with classroom training) – Top performing companies leverage the potential of technology in supporting learning initiatives and appear to prefer an approach which blends class room training with virtual learning to develop sales competencies in their sales teams.
- Your sales strategy is clearly defined – Defining a Sales Strategy is the first step to ensuring alignment around its objectives. Doing this much better than others could be one of the big enablers of sales success at top performing companies, getting sales people in diverse and dispersed locations to rally around the sales cause, with clarity and consistency.
Would the Survey Insights be relevant everywhere?
Our world is too varied to be painted with a single brush. While universal perspectives are valid and valuable, everyone cannot be outfitted with a single size. So, in addition to seeing through a global lens, the survey takes a closer look at the holy grail of sales excellence through three other lenses.
3 lenses: Taking a closer look at sales excellence
How do people across various positions in an Organization look at sales excellence?
The survey captures and analyses responses by position of respondents – CEO/Director (41%), Sales Managers (47%) and Others (12%).
How do respondents from different industries look at Sales Excellence?
The survey captures responses across 12 different Industry categories:
|· Manufacturing Industry||· Bank, Finance, Insurance|
|· Other Consumer Goods, Retail||· Chemical|
|· Software, Information technology||· Utilities|
|· Pharma, Medical Devices and Diagnostic||· Telecommunication|
· Raw Material
|· Logistic and Automotive
The industry wise drivers were analyzed in relation to the current state of each industry and the factors likely to impact sales.
How do Organizations of varying sizes look at Sales Excellence?
The responses were from sales organizations of 5 sizes:
- 100 plus sales people
- 51 to 100 sales people
- 26 to 50 sales people
- 10 to 25 sales people
- Less than 10 sales people
This helped make the Survey findings largely size agnostic.
How does the sales community see and manage its world?
Stepping beyond insights offered by the top drivers, the Survey explores if the top performers and bottom performers see their Customers differently.
The survey also peeps into Sales Management Actions such as different ways of structuring the sales organization and the nature and number of targets set, and measures reviewed.
Leveraging the Sales Excellence Survey 2017
The findings and insights from the Survey are available at www.mercuri.net. They have the potential to jumpstart reflections on where one stands vis a vis Global peers. Such reflective diligence in appropriate leadership forums, is sure to light up sparks in uncovering secrets of sales excellence that could take your sales to a higher level.
As it will, for Peter and John!
Doug is an independent Lotscoach® with Scandinavian Leadership.
Scandinavian Leadership, based in Sweden and the U.S., has been on the market as LOTS® for forty three years with assignments in more than 60 countries including Canada. Scandinavian Leadership now has a Canadian Lotscoach® in Toronto who will work in Canada and internationally.
Doug was the President & CEO of Arla Foods in Canada for 22 years and he worked as a Lotscoach® facilitator in Denmark, China, Germany, Netherlands and Russia for Arla Foods. The LOTS® process has also been used in Arla Foods Canada for many years.
As a Lotscoach® Doug will use LOTS® as a leadership tool for facilitating leader, team and business /organizational development.
LOTS® Philosophy and Process
To be able to run a successful business/organization today – and tomorrow – we need structure and a common language that permeates the entire organization.
It should be clear to everyone what we are doing and why, and for whom we are doing it. Having a clear vision of how we would like our world to be increases the possibilities of experiencing meaning, joy and financial success in our organization and makes our work more productive.
LOTS® is a leadership process which provides leaders and co-workers with an inspiring philosophy and tools for reflection, decision making, implementation and follow-up. LOTS® can successfully be applied in big and small issues.
With open process questions accompanied by open analysis questions and reflection tools, LOTS® offers a holistic view throughout the whole process. LOTS® makes us think and act Outside-in and Inside-out in a balanced way, i.e. true customer and stakeholder orientation.
It helps us to get a common view on why we do what we do and how to do it in an appreciated and successful way. LOTS® helps us to move in the same direction in a positive, conscious and profitable way.
You can contact Doug through email@example.com, his phone number: 416 277 0806 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Go Ahead Tours, creating incredible travel experiences is what we do best. As part of EF Education First, we draw on over 50 years of expertise to continue to grow our portfolio of more than 180 tours to all 7 continents. We’re excited to become an affiliate member of SCCC and look forward making your private and professional travel dreams come true.
Why Go Ahead Tours?
We’re a company of passionate adventurers dedicated to creating the best journey for every traveller.
- Global expertise: Thanks to the global EF network, we have offices all over the world—your clients can count on expert support everywhere they go.
- Flexible travel experiences: Our carefully crafted itineraries offer a balance of sightseeing tours led by local experts and free time for travellers to explore on their own.
- A commitment to quality: Our team considers the details of every itinerary and reads every review we receive to ensure that we’re offering the best possible travel experience.
- An exceptional value: We’re committed to offering amazing experiences at an excellent value. At www.goaheadtours.ca you’ll always find pricing in Canadian dollars.
- Small groups, big connections: Our tour groups are always capped at between 14 to 35 travellers—well below the industry average. A small group of 14 on safari in Botswana and Zimbabwe means better access to remote settings, while up to 28 is the ideal group size for discovering local flavours on a European Food & Wine Tour.
To find out more how we can support your personal and private travel please visit www.goaheadtours.ca or contact Christopher Gentile, Business Development Manager, Go Ahead Tours Canada, at 416.738.4671 or email@example.com or our Vice President, Johan Astrom at firstname.lastname@example.org
New! We are pleased to announce that the Ambassador for the European Union in Canada, Ms. Marie-Anne Coninsx, will join us and provide short closing remarks at the luncheon on Tuesday, April 4.
We hope to see you there!
We are pleased to announce that the Ambassador for the European Union in Canada, Ms. Marie-Anne Coninsx, will join us and provide short closing remarks at the luncheon on Tuesday, April 4. We hope to see you there!
Take a golf break outside the city!
New location · new date · new experience!
The Finnish, Swedish, and Danish Chambers of Commerce, together with Iceland and Norway, invite you to join us on Thursday, June 1st, 2017, at the beautiful Caledon Woods Golf Club for our 8th Annual Nordic Consular Cup Golf Tournament.
This year the Danish Chamber is celebrating its 25th Anniversary!
You and your guests are invited to participate in some friendly rivalry between nations! Come enjoy a BBQ Lunch “On the Tee”, play 18 holes (with cart), then dine with us at the Championship Buffet complete with wine, beer, and award ceremony). There are great prizes to be won in the golf contests and the raffle!
12:30 P.M. Registration
1:00 P.M. Lunch on the Tee
1:30 P.M. Tee-off (modified shotgun start)
7:00 P.M. Dinner and awards ceremony
$190 +HST/single, $720 +HST/foursome ($65 +HST dinner only)
Individual and team awards
Registration and Payment Deadline: May 17, 2017
Sponsorship spots are available (see below).
Dear SCCC member!
You are invited to come and learn about a proven method in leadership development. In this workshop, Mr. Lauri Asikainen, President of the Canada-Finland Chamber of Commerce, will introduce you to a professional tool that some leading organizations use to help their managers at all levels to reach their potential, both in their professional and personal life.
Anybody who is interested in learning about professional and personal development will find this workshop fascinating. Register today as there is limited number of spaces available.
Reserve your spot or find out more at:
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017
Time: 4-6 p.m.
Place: The Office of Miller Thomson, 40 King St. West, Suite 5800, Toronto
Fee: $25 for members, $35 for non-members
RSVP deadline: Tuesday, March 21
All SCCC members are invited to participate in this years Annual General Meeting, March 30th, 2017 at 5 P.M. to 6.00 P.M.
EF and Go Ahead Tours Offices
80 Bloor Street West 16th floor.
ON M5S 2V1
ON M5S 2V1
Please R.S.V.P. via email, info @ sccc.ca or call: 416 925 8661 no later than Friday, March 24th 2017.
2017 – 2018 Nominees :
Lars Ruuth, Marketing Manager at SKF Canada Ltd. https://www.linkedin.com/in/lars-ruuth-b80131/
Alexander Ivovich, Managing Director of Volvo Car of Canada Ltd. https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexander-lvovich-a939693/
Peter Eriksson, General Manager at Hilton Mississauga Meadowvale. https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-eriksson-a85b111/
Franz Dambo, Director Radiological Protection Services Nuvia Canada Inc https://www.linkedin.com/in/frazze/
Johan Nilsson, Technical Manager at Tetra Pak Canada Inc https://www.linkedin.com/in/johan-nilsson-21301013/
The list of Nominees can be subject to change.
Sitting Board 2017 – 2018
Klaus Koeppen, Investment Advisor at CIBC World Markets https://www.linkedin.com/in/klaus-koeppen-aa5b4469/
Ann Marie MacDougall President, LeaderBoom Inc https://www.linkedin.com/in/ann-marie-macdougall-mba-emba-90676a15/
Patricia McLean, Head of Experiences & Events, Team West Ericsson https://www.linkedin.com/in/patricia-maclean-74861a8/
Axel Kindbom Partner at Dickinson Wright LLP https://www.linkedin.com/in/axelkindbom/
Refreshments and mingling to follow.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Click to view pictures from the Annual Lucia Luncheon at the Fairmont Royal York.